Monday, April 20, 2015

Body Positive Self-talk

I've been thinking about body-positive self-talk a lot lately. My wife and I have been talking about it a great deal lately, along with our girlfriend. We've been exploring how we dress ourselves.

We've also been exploring eating and exercising habits that center around really listening to our bodies; not just momentary cravings, but what the body seems to really want and need, what makes us feel deep-down good and happy. We don't exercise just because we're "supposed to," but we find something enjoyable to do that happens to be exercising our bodies. We don't eat something that's good for us just because it's good for us, we make something that tastes good and is satisfying that is full of things the body needs instead of things it doesn't. And if we feel tired, we rest. And if we want a treat, we have one. And we don't beat ourselves up for it.

Know what? It works. I haven't felt this healthy OR happy in decades. I talk to myself as someone who is beautiful, who is valuable.

I felt guilty about complimenting myself at first. Can you believe that?! We're taught that valuing our own bodies is arrogant. I felt like an ass for thinking I was worthy of just taking care of myself, of just seeing myself in a way that was detached from what others might thing of me.

Well, for the first week of this blog, I'd like to talk about body-positivity.

What do you do to stay positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment